Wednesday, December 21, 2011

ME2 - Gone


Over before it began.

There are spoilers after the break.  Continue reading at your own risk.


An Except from Ashley William's Journal

Skipper's gone.  No.  I won't say that four-letter "d" word that everyone keeps throwing about.  I can't.  First my team on Eden Prime, then Kaidan, and now her.  This war has taken the lives of too many people I care about.  The worst part is that I could have saved her.  I could have saved us both.  I could have grabbed Joker and put him in an escape pod first before running through our ruined ship for Shepard.  If I had done that then maybe we could have all made it.  Instead I gathered the remaining medical staff and got myself to safety - heedless of Shepard's plight.  I know that she ordered me to collect the remaining crew and get to safety ... but couldn't I have ignored orders just that once?  Instead I left her to convince Joker to leave.  Joker said that he saw Skipper blown away from their escape pod, and then bodily flung from the ship ...even as she clung desperately to the Normandy's hull for dear life.

Shepard once  told me that she believed in God, even if she didn't make a big deal of it.  I guess that means she's with my dad now.  It is only a small comfort, but the idea of them swapping war stories in heaven makes me smile.  Even so, that really is only a small comfort when I'm torn up inside.  She of all people, a woman I greatly respect, is gone.  
Death closes all: but something ere the end
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.

- Alfred Tennyson

No comments:

Post a Comment