Thursday, April 28, 2011

Soundtrack - The Study Environment

The past couple of days I've been keeping music playing constantly.  Remember how everyone was talking about the Mozart Effect 10-15 years ago?  I don't know how much of that was real and how much of that was hype.   In fact, I don't even know if there was validity to the idea that listening to Mozart temporarily increased your memory retention skills.  I do know, however, that listening to music of any kind makes it easier for me to concentrate.  Normally I'd have something like Epica, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Therion or Nightwish playing.  I discovered that they were the perfect study music a few years ago, back when I spent my life buried in the photography darkroom developing for 8 or so hours at a time.  The last major paper I wrote was actually pulled together to tune of Therion's Live Gothic concert on DVD.   (Look it up.) It repeatedly blared through my computer's speakers for days on end and my neighbor's probably hated me for it by the time 5 am rolled around every night. The usuals haven't been cutting it this week though, so I decided to break out my collection of video game soundtracks.  Since these albums were designed to merge seamlessly with gameplay they have ended up being the perfect solution for background music.  They both help me focus and remain relatively unobtrusive.  Below are the main themes from the albums which have gotten the most play as of late.  I highly recommend each and every one of these.  Can you guess who my favorite videogame composers are?

Don't worry guys, I haven't forgotten about Mass Effect and there will be a ME1 post on Sunday night.  Have a great rest of your week.

   

   

   

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment