Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Let's Watch - Zero Punctuation



Because I just finished a major project (after 9 uninterrupted hours of mind-numbing loose end tying), have a presentation to prepare for Thursday and roughly forty pages to write + finish researching by Monday, I'm going to let fatigue get the best of me tonight.  I had been working on an original blurb for this week's Tuesday/Wednesday post, but instead I have decided to share a video series which has been keeping me both entertained and sane the past week or so.  Since all of the Zero Punctuation videos are roughly five minutes each I can afford to watch one, have a laugh, and then get back to work without losing too much time.

From Their Website - Zero Punctuation is The Escapist's groundbreaking video review series starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Every Wednesday Zero Punctuation picks apart the games so you don't have to. Called "hilariously cutting ... first legitimate breakout hit from the gaming community in recent memory" by Boing Boing, see why gamers love it and developers fear it.

Some Thoughts Of My Own -  Witty, antagonistic and insightful, Zero Punctuation has been running for a few years now on the Escapist's website.  While I do not always agree with  Yahtzee's opinions, his reviews are so amusing that I can't hold it against him.  Outside of worshiping a few games like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Psychonauts, Silent Hill 2, and Portal (a devotion not blinded by their flaws); he routinely calls out new releases for lazy story lines and poor game mechanics.  He rarely has anything fantastic to say about Western RPGs, but certainly has much more respect for them then he does JRPGs.  His dislike for the Wii is amusing, and he endears himself to me with a overwhelming dislike for multi player campaigns.  Overall I wouldn't exactly use him to help me find games to buy, I'd end up with empty game shelves, but one can't deny that he makes a number of very keen observations each week.  If you can overlook his off-color language and not-so-family friendly analogies, then you will find Zero Punctuation to be quite a gem.  Below are some of the videos that I have found myself going back to watch time and time again.  At this moment the one for Two Worlds II  is quite possible my favorite.


Past Videos of Amusement -





Assassin's Creed 





Assassin's Creed 2


Fallout: NewVegas





Two Worlds II





Dragon Age: Origins





Fable: The Lost Chapters




Fable 2





Fable 3





Alpha Protocol




Images: SplitReason & The Escapist

No comments:

Post a Comment